GBP to EUR: Inflation accelerates but no one is expecting a shift in attitude at the Bank of England
Tuesday, 13 September 2011 14:17
In normal times any indications that inflation was accelerating would boost the prospects for the British Pound (GBP).
The GBP to EUR exchange rate is at 1.1587.
The UK inflation rate accelerated to 4.5% in August from 4.4% in July, according to CPI annual gauge, adding to concerns that the UK may suffer from stagflation.
Normally such a reading would provide a boost to the GBP as markets would take it as a sign that the Bank of England would be considering raising interest rates.
However, the UK economy is essentially on the road to nowhere - a stagnant economy is unlikely to see interest rates hiked as this would only make things worse.
Hence, the GBP has actually weakened against the EUR on the back of the latest data.
The rally in monthly inflation was led by rising cost of clothes and household utility by 3.7%% and 0.5% respectively.
Indeed, oil prices are remaining stubbornly high and all indications point to them maintaing their strength.
This creates the kind of inflationary pressure that the Bank of England is simply unable to manage.
The BoE predicts the rate to reach 5 percent in 2011, yet easing in 2012 and 2013, where it expects it to reach 1.8 percent in the second quarter of 2013.
It also expects an ease in inflation as the temporary factors boosting that rate will diminish, yet the precise time for the fall remains highly uncertain, making the possibility that inflation would exceed or become below 2% target in the medium term is "judged to be roughly equal."
Accordingly, the bank sees its currently monetary policy, keeping interest rate and APF on hold, is suitable to reinvigorate recovery.
GBP to EUR: Latest News
- GBP to EUR finally decides to wake up as risk-rebound goes into overdrive in afternoon session
- GBP to EUR: Uneventful market conditions continue! Currency pair virtually unchanged from yesterday
- GBP to EUR technicals: Things are starting to look heavy for the EUR again
- GBP to EUR in strong advances as a dovish ECB session looms, latest PMI data does not help either
- The GBP to EUR is a bright spot on a day when markets are showing a renewed sense of fear on the Eurozone outlook
- GBP to EUR technicals: 0.8500 level held firm and the EUR failed at its first major hurdle
- Technical outlook for the GBP to EUR exchange rate: Go short on the breaking of 0.8315 for EURGBP say RBS
"These levels, and slightly higher ones in EUR/GBP, should make excellent GBP buying opportunities." Read More....
Most Popular on GBP to EUR.com
- GBP to EUR: RBS sees exchange rate higher in one year
- Where to for GBP to EUR?
- GBP to EUR today: Pound slips on latest data
- The week ahead for GBP
- Pound Euro: Key data events for the week ahead
- GBP to EUR latest; UK unemployment figures are out
- GBP falls, risk aversion knocks demand
- GBP to EUR looking cheap at current levels
- GBP to EUR: Inflation accelerates but no one is expecting a shift in attitude at the Bank of England
- GBP to EUR is having a good day courtesy of a stock market slump
GBP to EUR - Get a Quote
Our partners at foreign exchange specialists
TorFX are here to assist you with your money transfer requirements between Europe and the UK.
Ask for your quote today.
As a secure FSA regulated payment provider they have access to over 40 currency accounts and can provide same day exchange transfers.