Profit taking kicks in allowing GBP to take a breather against EUR
Friday, 27 January 2012 15:20
Today, there are no high profile eco data on the calendar in the UK and we see exchange rates staying rangebound.
The GBP to EUR exchange rate is 0.13% lower on the day at 1.1958.
Exchange rates continue to retain range-bound trading patterns, there is not much market-moving news on offer, thus it would seem traders are content to wait for developments next week.
The theme of rangebound trade follows on from yesterday where GBPEUR traders didn’t really know which card to play.
That said, until recently, the GBP to EUR rate had been very volatile of late.
After the open of European markets, it looked as if the euro would have to give back part of the post-Fed gains.
However, the single currency was support by market rumours that the negotiations on the Greek PSI were moving closer to a solution.
EURGBP rebounded off the 0.8351 intraday low.
On the other side of the Canal, the CBI distributive trades report came out much weaker than the market consensus.
EURGBP extensively tested recent highs in the 0.8390 area.
The pair continued to challenge this area during the US trading hours.
However, a clear break toward the key 0.8422 range top didn’t occur.
Some profit taking kicked in late in the session. EURGBP closed the session at 0.8355, compared to 0.8370 on Wednesday evening.
Today, there are no high profile eco data on the calendar in the UK.
So, EUR/GBP trading will be driven by global factors and by the overall performance of the euro.
A positive outcome of the Greek PSI negotiations could be supportive for the euro overall.
However, looking at the price charts, we have the impression that the topside of the euro is becoming a bit difficult, especially as long as there is no high profile good news from Europe.
GBP to EUR: Latest News
- GBP to EUR finally decides to wake up as risk-rebound goes into overdrive in afternoon session
- GBP to EUR: Uneventful market conditions continue! Currency pair virtually unchanged from yesterday
- GBP to EUR technicals: Things are starting to look heavy for the EUR again
- GBP to EUR in strong advances as a dovish ECB session looms, latest PMI data does not help either
- The GBP to EUR is a bright spot on a day when markets are showing a renewed sense of fear on the Eurozone outlook
- GBP to EUR technicals: 0.8500 level held firm and the EUR failed at its first major hurdle
- Technical outlook for the GBP to EUR exchange rate: Go short on the breaking of 0.8315 for EURGBP say RBS
"These levels, and slightly higher ones in EUR/GBP, should make excellent GBP buying opportunities." Read More....
Most Popular on GBP to EUR.com
- GBP to EUR: RBS sees exchange rate higher in one year
- Where to for GBP to EUR?
- GBP to EUR today: Pound slips on latest data
- The week ahead for GBP
- Pound Euro: Key data events for the week ahead
- GBP to EUR latest; UK unemployment figures are out
- GBP falls, risk aversion knocks demand
- GBP to EUR looking cheap at current levels
- GBP to EUR: Inflation accelerates but no one is expecting a shift in attitude at the Bank of England
- GBP to EUR is having a good day courtesy of a stock market slump
GBP to EUR - Get a Quote
Our partners at foreign exchange specialists
TorFX are here to assist you with your money transfer requirements between Europe and the UK.
Ask for your quote today.
As a secure FSA regulated payment provider they have access to over 40 currency accounts and can provide same day exchange transfers.