EUR GBP rate unable to reverse Tuesday's losses; Sterling continues to hold strong
Thursday, 02 February 2012 14:58
Yesterday we saw EUR/GBP try to reverse part of Tuesday’s losses in line with the global rebound of the euro.
However, the move clearly lacked power. Sterling continues to hold strong with the GBP to EUR holding the 1.2 ground.
EUR/GBP was near the recent low just above the 0.8280 mark in Asia and at the start of trading in Europe.
However, European markets succeeded a remarkable risk rally.
This supported the headline EUR/USD cross rate, but the rebound of EUR/GBP was much more contained as cable had a good run, too. The UK manufacturing PMI
showed a bigger than expected rebound from 49.7 compared to 52.1.
However, as was the case of late, the direct impact of UK data on sterling was again very limited.
Global sentiment on the euro and technical considerations prevailed. EUR/GBP even reached an intraday high at 0.8343 after the release of the UK PMI. From there, the pair settled in a tight range roughly around 0.8320.
After all, the pair traded relatively quite given the wide swings in EUR/USD and in equities.
EUR/GBP closed the session at 0.8312, little changed from the 0.8302 on Tuesday evening.
Today, the calendar of eco data in the UK is thin. The PMI of the construction sector is usually no market mover. So, global sentiment and technical considerations will prevail.
Looking at the price action of the previous days, sterling profited almost as much from improving sentiment on the EMU debt crisis than was the case for the single currency.
So, one can expect further range trading in the established consolidation pattern.
GBP to EUR: Latest News
- GBP to EUR finally decides to wake up as risk-rebound goes into overdrive in afternoon session
- GBP to EUR: Uneventful market conditions continue! Currency pair virtually unchanged from yesterday
- GBP to EUR technicals: Things are starting to look heavy for the EUR again
- GBP to EUR in strong advances as a dovish ECB session looms, latest PMI data does not help either
- The GBP to EUR is a bright spot on a day when markets are showing a renewed sense of fear on the Eurozone outlook
- GBP to EUR technicals: 0.8500 level held firm and the EUR failed at its first major hurdle
- Technical outlook for the GBP to EUR exchange rate: Go short on the breaking of 0.8315 for EURGBP say RBS
"These levels, and slightly higher ones in EUR/GBP, should make excellent GBP buying opportunities." Read More....
Most Popular on GBP to EUR.com
- GBP to EUR: RBS sees exchange rate higher in one year
- Where to for GBP to EUR?
- GBP to EUR today: Pound slips on latest data
- The week ahead for GBP
- Pound Euro: Key data events for the week ahead
- GBP to EUR latest; UK unemployment figures are out
- GBP falls, risk aversion knocks demand
- GBP to EUR looking cheap at current levels
- GBP to EUR: Inflation accelerates but no one is expecting a shift in attitude at the Bank of England
- GBP to EUR is having a good day courtesy of a stock market slump
GBP to EUR - Get a Quote
Our partners at foreign exchange specialists
TorFX are here to assist you with your money transfer requirements between Europe and the UK.
Ask for your quote today.
As a secure FSA regulated payment provider they have access to over 40 currency accounts and can provide same day exchange transfers.