GBP to EUR: The euro under pressure as pound makes advances back into physiologically significant territory
Thursday, 16 February 2012 15:43
The GBP to EUR exchange rate is currently 0.47% higher on the day at 1.2065.
This represents a good comeback by the GBP, but a great deal of credit for the move should actually rest with the weakness in the EUR.
The movements of the EUR-USD exchange rate have helped drive direction in GBP-EUR.
Today, the eco calendar in Europe is very thin. Markets will keep an eye on the bond sales of Spain and France. However, of late auctions were no factor of importance anymore for FX trading.
In the US, the calendar is better filled, with the PPI, the jobless claims, housing starts and permits and the Philly Fed survey all scheduled for release.
"We continue to keep an eye on the activity data (especially the jobless claims) to see whether the rebound of the US economy remains on track. At some point this might come to support the dollar. However, at this stage, Greece remains the dominant factor for EUR/USD trading," say KBC Markets.
With respect to the Greek debt deal, it is impossible to try to predict the political U-turns of all parties involved ahead of the next Eurogroup meeting on Monday.
This is nothing less than a high level poker play. The official talk remains that progress has been made, but it is clear that there is immense distrust between Greece and a big part of the other EMU countries.
The visibility on the issue is almost zero. One can make the point
GBP to EUR: Latest News
- GBP to EUR finally decides to wake up as risk-rebound goes into overdrive in afternoon session
- GBP to EUR: Uneventful market conditions continue! Currency pair virtually unchanged from yesterday
- GBP to EUR technicals: Things are starting to look heavy for the EUR again
- GBP to EUR in strong advances as a dovish ECB session looms, latest PMI data does not help either
- The GBP to EUR is a bright spot on a day when markets are showing a renewed sense of fear on the Eurozone outlook
- GBP to EUR technicals: 0.8500 level held firm and the EUR failed at its first major hurdle
- Technical outlook for the GBP to EUR exchange rate: Go short on the breaking of 0.8315 for EURGBP say RBS
"These levels, and slightly higher ones in EUR/GBP, should make excellent GBP buying opportunities." Read More....
Most Popular on GBP to EUR.com
- GBP to EUR: RBS sees exchange rate higher in one year
- Where to for GBP to EUR?
- GBP to EUR today: Pound slips on latest data
- The week ahead for GBP
- Pound Euro: Key data events for the week ahead
- GBP to EUR latest; UK unemployment figures are out
- GBP falls, risk aversion knocks demand
- GBP to EUR looking cheap at current levels
- GBP to EUR: Inflation accelerates but no one is expecting a shift in attitude at the Bank of England
- GBP to EUR is having a good day courtesy of a stock market slump
GBP to EUR - Get a Quote
Our partners at foreign exchange specialists
TorFX are here to assist you with your money transfer requirements between Europe and the UK.
Ask for your quote today.
As a secure FSA regulated payment provider they have access to over 40 currency accounts and can provide same day exchange transfers.